Thursday, April 3, 2014

April Showers Bring May Flowers

In the hopes of warding off yet another snow storm here in northwestern Pennsylvania, I find myself chanting the age-old rhyme "April showers bring May flowers," which got me to wondering exactly where this rhyme originated.

Being an expert Googler (that's a technical term, by the way) I let my fingers do the walking and found out that this rhyme can officially be traced back to the mid 1500s (although it may have been around long before) to a collection of writings called "A Hundreth Good Pointes of Husbandrie" written by the poet/farmer Thomas Tusser.



Sweet April showers
Do spring May flowers


After reading about Thomas Tusser for much longer than I intended, I found myself on the Old Farmer's Almanac website to see what April has in store for us this year. I set my sites on the two-month forecast for Lower Lakes region and learned that, according to the almanac, supposedly April and May will be warmer and a bit rainier than normal.

Which leads me to the entire point of this post:

1. It's really easy to get side tracked on the internet

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY

2. Make sure your windshield wiper blades are in good shape because they've still got a lot work left to do. 

So if you're blades took a beating this winter, consider replacing them before sweet April showers begin to pour!

No comments:

Post a Comment